The demand for apps in the iOS interface continues to skyrocket, with $1.1 trillion in developer revenue from the App Store in 2023. As more organizations turn to app development for their products, branding and services, they also need highly skilled Apple developers who can create functional applications that boost their image and profitability. Apple enjoys a 21% market share globally in the smartphone industry. Apps for Apple products must be developed for the iOS interface by Apple developers.
Growth around the world in IT and for new apps makes it more challenging to find the best developers. Understanding how to hire Apple developers for your project quickly can put your company in a better position than your competitors.
Unfortunately, there is currently a shortage of tech developers, especially those with the most specialized skills and knowledge, such as programming iOS apps. As more companies integrate technology into their business model, the need for developers will continue to rise. The existing talent pool can’t handle these demands.
Developers also have to constantly keep up with changing technologies and trends in app construction. Apple developers work with apps designed for iOS, which runs on iPhones and iPads. Apple regularly releases updates to its operating system for mobile devices. Additionally, Apple also upgrades its hardware with new iPhone and iPad releases almost every year.
This sometimes creates a challenge for finding developers with expertise in the latest system and hardware updates. All of these factors make hiring Apple developers tough unless you work with a top freelance recruiting team.
Hiring a Freelance Apple Developer
Companies looking to hire a freelance Apple developer can use flexible hiring strategies to get their needs met. In today’s business marketplace, there are more possibilities than just full-time or part-time regular employees. Many businesses opt for freelance developers.
Hiring a freelancer benefits your team by giving you access to more innovative minds. Freelancers also have flexible work hours and more creative solutions to app development and much more.
What Does an Apple Developer Do?
Many people wonder, what does an Apple developer do? An Apple developer primarily works with mobile applications on the iOS platform. They build scripts and create applications for mobile software products on Apple’s App Store. These applications can be used on devices such as the Apple iPhone, Apple Watch and iPad. When you hire dedicated Apple developers, you get access to these tools.
Mobile applications on Apple’s App Store offer users tools for productivity, social engagement, mental health, fitness, lifestyle, finance and much more. Each year, Apple highlights the top apps in the industry and hands out awards for design, functionality and impact. If you hire dedicated Apple developers, you can get expertise from potentially award-winning designers.
One example of a mobile application that has made an impact due to its innovative design and usability is the app Headspace. This mental health mobile application was designed to help users handle daily struggles and give them more tools to manage their mental health. With more than 70 million users and 600,000+ reviews online, it promotes daily mindfulness and meditation for users with a convenient, bite-sized application. The team at Headspace uses Apple developers for hire to help improve user-friendliness.
In 2023, Apple recognized the app for its social impact. According to Apple, “winners in this category improve lives in a meaningful way and shine a light on crucial issues.” The app’s redesign in 2023 allowed for seamless integration with the Apple Watch, better navigation and colorful illustrations.
For the new design, “user research convinced the team to strip away that complexity and focus instead on the app’s Today tab, which facilitates one-tap access to activities of varying lengths for morning, afternoon and night. Importantly, it does so without bringing up specific categories,” according to Jeff Birkeland, Headspace’s senior vice president.
How To Hire Apple Developers
Finding the right Apple developers for your company starts with a survey of your requirements for your mobile application. Your team needs to sit down and identify what you want your mobile app to accomplish and how you want it to complement your business. After thinking about these questions and answers, you then need to make a plan for hiring.
One place to start is by reaching out to other organizations and asking about their mobile applications. You may also need to connect with your company’s IT team to learn about the technical requirements you will need for a mobile app on the Apple App Store. Then you and your team should generate a list of qualifications you expect from an Apple developer.
There are different levels of experience within the Apple developer community as well. A senior mobile app developer should have experience leading projects with a portfolio of successful apps they have built. A junior or entry-level Apple developer may not have as much in their portfolio, but they should have the technical skills and certifications required to code within the App Store.
The best option for busy professionals looking to hire new developers is to work with a recruiter. Finding the perfect candidate takes time, effort, conversations and scrutiny of the individual’s portfolio. It also helps to have a lot of background knowledge of the technical side of the Apple App Store.
What Skills To Look For When Hiring Apple Developers
It’s important to know which Apple developer skills you should look for in potential new hires or freelancers. Review this list of general skills that are important for computer programmers and developers:
- Ability To Solve Problems: Developers are, at heart, problem-solvers. Look for individuals who have demonstrated the ability to solve complex problems for companies like yours.
- Strong Verbal and Written Communication: You also should aim to find candidates who have solid verbal and written communication skills. Communication with team members, both verbally and electronically, must be clear and concise.
- Critical Thinking: Critical thinking skills are also a must-have for Apple developers, as their work often requires higher-level thinking and innovation.
- Adaptability to Different Situations: Apple developers also need to be able to adapt to unique situations and change their mindset when creating or programming new apps.
The ideal person for your app development task should also have an undergraduate or graduate degree in software or computer science. Some software developers have degrees in other sciences or math, which can also be beneficial as an asset to their overall skills.
Additionally, there are several specific types of technical skills that are essential for Apple developers. Here are the top hard skills an Apple developer needs:
- Swift Coding Experience
- Objective-C Skills
- SwiftUI Skills
- Design Skills
- Knowledge of Web Architecture and Protocols
- Understanding of iOS Framework
- Experience With Back-End APIs
How Much Does It Cost To Hire Apple Developers?
Full-time Apple developers on your payroll may earn between $118,000 and $192,000 per year. Some developers get a base salary and additional pay in the form of bonuses or commissions. If you hire freelance Apple developers you may pay the per-hour rate and avoid having to pay additional salary perks, such as bonuses or stock. The mean hourly rate for a software developer is $63.91, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Tips for Writing an Apple Developer Job Description
A big part of finding the right talent for your team is writing a strong Apple developer job description. A job description should compel a skilled Apple developer to apply for the position. Your goal is to write a job posting that is engaging while also showing your company’s culture and values.
During the hiring process, you may need to conduct several assessments to evaluate personality and technical skills. Interviews and other group panel conversations can help you and your team evaluate each candidate’s soft skills. You may also want to score your assessments with a team using a holistic rubric to avoid biases and spot talent with equity in mind.
Common Interview Questions To Ask When You Are Looking To Hire an Apple Developer
When you are ready to interview, you should have a set of questions to determine if a candidate is going to be a good fit. It’s important to ask questions that give you information about the person’s technical knowledge. It’s also beneficial to have some questions that are more character-based so you can see if the person will fit with your team.
A good question to start with is, “How do you debug code in iOS?” The candidate should be able to explain their debugging process in a succinct way. Their answer should also demonstrate a high level of knowledge of the iOS system and its components.
Next, consider asking, “What are the biggest challenges you faced in a recent project you led?” This type of question can give you more insight into how the candidate takes on challenges. You’re looking for someone who takes obstacles in stride and comes up with creative solutions that work.
A final recommended question to ask is, “What is your process for developing apps in iOS?” At the heart of an Apple developer’s skill is their design process. A good answer should explain in detail the specific steps for developing a functional app. It should also include information about collaborating with others.
How To Find Freelance Apple Developers for Hire
Companies that need Apple developers should focus on talent spotting. Look for skilled developers in freelance marketplaces, coding boot camps, industry events and in your professional network. Options are better if you team up with one of the best sites to hire Apple developers, Toptal. Toptal helps you find knowledgeable developers without having to sacrifice more time and money in your onboarding experience.
Your team’s success depends on recruiting the top Apple developers. Don’t leave this process up to chance. The ingredients for finding great talent are innovative hiring strategies, effective interviewing, comprehensive training and a thorough understanding of the freelance software developer marketplace.
Hiring Apple developers - FAQs
- How To Hire Apple Developers
- To find top Apple developers, you need to try a variety of strategies. Online freelance marketplaces and recruiting companies like Toptal may help you fill your developer needs. You may also reach out to other pros in your network or look at coding boot camps to find new talent.
- Where Can I Hire Apple Developers?
- Consider posting a job description on a website devoted to recruiting software developers. You should use multiple sites to get the most responses back. Additionally, partner with a recruiting team that manages the hiring process for you so you don’t have to worry about taking too much time to find new members to add to your team.
- How Much Does It Cost To Hire Apple Developers?
- Full-time developers may cost more than six figures and require you to pitch in additional perks like benefits and stock options. Hourly rates for part-time workers can be a better deal. The rates and cost for freelancers may work best if you need someone for a one-time project.
- Can I Hire Someone To Build an App for Me?
- App developers sometimes work on a per-project basis. You would have to supply the core data for the developer. Hiring an individual to build designs for your development team can help your company create a successful app for your business model.
- Why Should You Hire an Apple Developer?
- Apple developers are the key people involved in mobile platforms for iOS. Professionals with this skill use coding languages to build out applications for your business. They work with your project managers to create tools for your company.