Are you looking to hire developers for a startup but don't know where to start? Or are you struggling to find local talent to build your company app? Look no further, our definitive guide will walk you through the necessary steps to hire the best developers for your startup.
Understanding the Value of Freelance Developers: What Can They Do for Your Company?
Before delving into the hiring process, it's essential to recognize the significant contributions freelance developers can make to your startup. Their most in-demand services and deep understanding of cutting-edge technologies enable businesses of all sizes to enhance their online presence, develop innovative mobile applications, and create tailored software solutions. By leveraging their expertise, companies can gain a competitive edge, adapt to customer demands, and streamline their operations effectively.
Startups need developers for various reasons, including:
- Setting up the tech stack for startups
- Fast growth
- Staying within budget
- Building a strong team
Challenges of Hiring Developers for a Startup
Startup owners face several challenges when hiring developers, such as:
- Lack of local talents
- Retention benefits competition with large corporates
- Financial concerns
- Hiring Issues
Benefits Of Hiring Remote Developers For Your Startup
To overcome the hiring challenges, outsourcing or hiring remote developers can be an excellent option. Benefits of hiring remote developers include:
- Tech Talent Availability
- Faster Recruitment
- Make the best of your budget
- More experienced and expertise
A staggering 70% of SMBs in the U.S. have engaged with freelancers, highlighting their widespread adoption. An impressive 81% of these businesses have expressed their intent to rehire freelancers, demonstrating their satisfaction with the value freelancers provide. These statistics serve as compelling evidence of the game-changing role that freelancers play in empowering SMBs to achieve their growth objectives.
7 Steps To Find and Hire a Developer for Your Startup
Though there isn’t a one size fits all approach to finding and hiring a great programmer, but here we share with you a few effective ways to do so:
- Specify your business needs - Before hiring developers, define your requirements and project specifics. Determine the type of developer(s) you need to fulfill your project.
- Determine the hiring model - Decide whether you need a project-based, dedicated team, or an extended team model.
- Explore sources for hiring talents such as online talent platforms - Use talent marketplaces like Toptal, Upwork and Fiverr to find the qualified developers you need. Filter the pool of candidates by skillset, experience and location, if that matters to you.
- Review CVs & portfolios: Understanding the quality and caliber of work they’ve done in the past will help you evaluate their technical abilities even that there is a lot of different tools they might have experience in. Are they used to work alone or they need project managers. If you use services such as Toptal, you might skip this step as they will vet and select the talent for you.
- Get to know the shortlisted freelance developers: Get on a call with them to gauge their personality and to find out whether you’re compatible or not. Ask the candidates about their experience working on similar projects. Determine their ability to handle complex tasks and solve problems.
- Discuss the project in detail: Break the project down and explain what you are expecting the project to accomplish and how it will function. It’s also advisable to explain the main purpose of the project to give context.
- Developer can start working on deliverables. Make sure to establish regular check-ins and milestone discussions, to ensure things are on track.
|Freelance Platform||Trustpilot score||Key point||Vetting||Guarantee||Fee to post projects||Talent status||Rate & Share|
|1||Toptal||4.8||High-profile clients||Top 3% Talent. Rigorous Vetting||Pay only if satisfied||$500 as a credit for the first project||Freelancers||Yes|
|2||Upwork||3.9||Large freelancer marketplace||Additional Expert-Vetted program||Payment protection||None, client pays commission||Freelancers||Yes|
|3||Fiverr||1.4||Project-based pricing||Additional Fiverr Pro program||Seller protection||None, client pays service fee||Freelancers||Yes|
How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Freelance Developer?
According to Upwork, a Full Custom Site Code, typically enterprise, that involves building a website design from scratch with custom code and design elements would cost an average hourly rate of $75-150+. On the other hand, a basic one-page site like a basic lead-gen page or landing page will cost an average hourly rate of $15-40+.
Having said that, these are the factors that determine the cost of hiring a freelance developer:
- Demand for those specific skills
- Complexity and scope of the project requirements
- The geographic location of the qualified candidates
- Expertise and experience
- Past work experience and brands they’ve worked with
What Skills to Look for When Hiring a Startup Developer?
In the words of renowned software engineer Martin Fowler: "Any fool can write code that a computer can understand. Good programmers write code that humans can understand."
This quote encapsulates the importance of not only basic tech knowledge but also the ability to create clean, maintainable, and comprehensible code. Hiring developers who possess this mindset can greatly contribute to the success of your projects and the overall efficiency of your team.
When hiring a freelance developer, it is important to look for someone with a wide range of technical skills.
These include coding languages such as:
- web frameworks such as ReactJS or Angular;
- systems architecture;
- database technologies such as MySQL and MongoDB; cloud computing;
- and devOps tools like Docker or Kubernetes.
Additionally, the freelancer should have excellent soft skills such as good communication skills and the ability to deliver solutions quickly and efficiently.
|What is freelance development?||Development is used for creating software applications, websites, and other digital solutions that solve specific business problems or meet user needs.|
|Advantages:||Improved Customer Experience and Satisfaction, Customization and Adaptability to Business Needs, Automation of Manual Processes|
|Disadvantages:||Dependency on Technology and Infrastructure, Higher Initial Investment and Cost, Skill and Talent Acquisition Challenges|
|Freelancers average hourly rate:||$41-71 per hour, depending on factors such as skill lever, experience, location and complexity of the project.|
|Where to hire?||Freelance marketplaces, talent platforms, outsourcing firms, development communities|
Choosing the Right Site to Hire Developers
Utilizing freelance developers for your project has many benefits:
- Access to a global talent pool
- Increased probability of finding developers with specific skills
- Potentially reduced compensation amounts and the elimination of paying payroll taxes, benefits and overhead expenses
- Contractual rather than long-term commitments
- The ability to cover multiple time zones
Hiring remote and freelance developers is becoming commonplace, and there are many sites claiming to be the best resource to find them. Each site has different structures and guarantees, so ensure that you’re comfortable with a particular site’s parameters.
We created the above list of recommended top sites for finding developers with various skills, but how do you know what type of site will best meet your needs?
Not many people have the technical knowledge to screen developers and vet their qualifications. Sites like Toptal and Hired perform these tasks for you and only accept top-notch developers.
You can find developers suitable for your needs efficiently and quickly with talent-matching sites. This can save time and money while ensuring that your developer team is qualified to complete your project successfully.
Freelance Developer Marketplaces
You can find skilled developers using marketplaces. This type of site allows developers to advertise their services. Most of these sites don’t screen or vet developers, although some do. If you have time constraints or don’t feel qualified to judge a candidate’s qualifications, this type of site might not be the best for you.
Developer Job Boards
If you prefer to post your project description and open positions, use a developer job board. Interested developers can apply, and these sites may assist you in making your selections.
Where to Find Freelance Developers for Hire
Talent matching services like Toptal and Arc are great platforms if you are searching for verified and pre-vetted tech talent, and for those who are looking to place their trust in experienced tech professionals. On the other hand, freelance marketplaces like Upwork, People Per Hour, Fiverr, and Freelancer allow you to hire programmers themselves.
While all the job boards, marketplaces, and matching services mentioned above have their respective pros, which site will best serve you will depend on your specific situation, such as:
- The timeline of your project.
- How quickly you need to hire.
- Experience of the developer.
- How many dedicated developers do you need?
- How important is quality for your project?
- The complexity of your project.
- Are you okay with remote developers or outsourcing to another country?
- What is your budget?
- The reputation of the platform.
By following the strategies outlined in this comprehensive guide, you can successfully hire exceptional freelance developers who will drive your projects to success. Understand the value they bring, craft a targeted hiring strategy, leverage reputable talent platforms, consider pricing factors, and evaluate essential technical and soft skills. With the right freelance developers on board, you can unlock your company's full potential, stay competitive, and achieve your business objectives effectively.
Hiring developers - FAQs
- How Do I Find Developers for a Startup?
- A freelance talent marketplace is an efficient and cost-effective way to hire developers for startups. Some companies, such as Toptal, put their freelancers through stringent vetting processes and connect you to talent with the right skills and salary requirements to fit your company’s project needs and budget requirements. Other marketplaces, such as Freelancer, leave it up to employers to vet talent but allow you to search for specific skills, salary ranges and ratings.
- What freelance developers are?
- Freelance developers are independent contractors who offer software development services to clients across a range of industries. According to recent studies, freelance developers bring a wealth of technical expertise and experience to the table. They leverage their skills to help companies of all sizes solve complex technical challenges and bring their ideas to life. By working with freelance developers, companies can benefit from increased flexibility, cost savings, and access to a wider pool of talent. This is particularly relevant in today's rapidly changing business landscape, where companies must be able to quickly adapt to new technologies and market conditions.
- How do I hire a good developer?
Matching services like Toptal, and to a lesser extent, Gun.io, are great solutions for employers searching for tech talent, and for those who are looking to place their trust in experienced tech professionals. For those short on time with high-quality developers as a priority, Toptal, Gun.io, and Hired are superb choices.
On the other end of the spectrum, there are freelance marketplaces like Upwork, People Per Hour, and Freelancer that allow you to cast a much wider net for developers. Employers looking for full-time developers may also benefit from utilizing Stack Overflow and GitHub's job boards, which can provide wonderful exposure to the developer community. Job boards, marketplaces, and matching services all have their uses.
Which site will best serve you will depend on your specific situation. You will want to search for the best companies that specialize in app development or web development.
- Where can I find programmers for hire?
- GitHub Jobs
- Stack Overflow
- People Per Hour
- How much does it cost to hire a developer?
Rates will vary widely depending on the quality of the services the web developer can provide. Based on data culled from their sites, Codementor reports web developers earns an average hourly range of $61-80, whereas Ziprecruiter indicates $25-43. From our research, these are the best sites to hire a developer.
Based on 45 reviews