Knowing how to hire Jira developers is essential to project management and business success. Hiring the right Jira talent can mean the difference between project completion within the scope, budget, and time and a project that spirals out of control.
The evolution of developer hiring reflects an industry in a constant state of change. Jira consistently releases new features, such as DevOps integrations and advanced roadmaps. As a result, the skills required for a Jira developer require more specialization and variation. Consider the different types of Jira software and the relevant uses.
|Jira Software||Program Use|
|Jira software for DevOps teams||Automates and integrates processes to build, test, and release software faster|
|Jira software for project management teams||Creates a project template or custom workflow to track all work moving through workflow|
|Jira software for Agile teams||Provides kanban and scrum boards for task management hubs|
|Jira software for bug tracking||Allows teams to view all tasks and bugs in the backlog|
Consider the example of Telestream, a leader in video content distribution. They switched to Jira and Fisheye to optimize their development and QA processes. The move led to increased transparency, efficiency, and product quality. Fisheye’s integration enabled real-time code view, and Jira saved significant time, cutting down on communication requirements between engineers and support teams. The platform also provided the management team with a better overview of how projects progress, improving decision-making. Overall, adopting Jira and Fisheye resulted in time and cost-saving measures that improved Telestream’s operational success.
As Jira technologies continue to evolve and set new industry standards, there is greater need for companies to stay updated on the latest market trends and necessary skills. A good Jira developer brings more to the company than technical skills. They can adapt, collaborate, and drive projects to a successful end.
Hiring a Freelance Jira Developer
When you hire a freelance Jira developer, you can access many business advantages. An immediate benefit is flexibility. You can engage with freelance professionals project by project, scaling your workforce up or down according to changing needs. This model also allows you to access a sizable global talent pool with niche skills. Remote freelancers can speed up timelines and contribute to continued development, enhancing the potential for overall business success.
What Does a Jira Developer Do?
An experienced Jira developer uses Jira software to configure, customize, and optimize Jira, a leading project management and bug-tracking tool created by Atlassian. They work closely with project managers, analysts, and other stakeholders to tailor Jira workflows that align with a business’s project requirements and methods. They may design custom dashboards, set up automated workflows, or integrate Jira with other tools, serving as the backbone for a streamlined project process.Why hire Jira developers? As John McKiernan, Atlassian Product Marketing Manager for Jira Software, astutely stated in a presentation,
“Make Jira work for you with automation...this is the automation age.”
This underlines the importance of having a skilled Jira developer who can automate otherwise manual work, reducing the risk of errors and speeding up processes, contributing to business agility and competitive advantage.
When you hire dedicated Jira developers, you benefit from focused expertise. These professionals can provide advanced solutions like customized plugins to use Jira’s capabilities to your advantage. They can perform complex migrations from other platforms to Jira, streamlining processes and saving time and money. Their targeted skills align Jira software with your business needs.
What are the relevant skills for Jira developers for hire? The ideal candidate should be proficient in several related topics:
- Knowledge of scripting languages such as Groovy for workflow customization
- Skills in integrating Jira with other tools, like Git, Slack, or CRM systems through APIs
- Understanding database queries for generating custom reports or pulling data from other systems into Jira
- Familiarity with Kanban or Scrum for Jira configurations and Agile project management
- Experience with DevOps tools like Jenkins for streamlining software development
How To Hire Jira Developers
When hiring for a specialized role like a Jira developer, the process is as nuanced as the candidate’s skills. We’ve compiled the basic steps to get you started.
First, prioritize your needs by looking at the scope of your projects or operations. Do you need a developer to customize and integrate Jira into an existing system, or do you want someone to maintain an existing Jira instance? Next, craft a job description that accurately reflects your needs and clearly states the level of expertise you seek. Then, use several channels for outreach, such as job postings, industry job boards, freelancer marketplaces, and social media. Finally, employ hands-on assessments or tests to gather tangible evidence of a candidate’s skills.
A junior Jira developer will broadly understand the software and do well with simpler needs and tighter budgets. A mid-level Jira developer possesses a deeper understanding, has more experience, and can handle more complex tasks. For a larger company with complex needs, a highly skilled senior-level developer can customize with Jira, integrate with more platforms, and automate complex workflows.
Consider your project’s complexity, timeline, and budget before deciding what level works best for your business. The most efficient employees are both skilled and adaptable.
The basic skills to look for when you hire Jira developers include technical proficiency in working with technologies like Groovy, SQL, and API integrations. Candidates should be able to think on their feet and solve problems quickly. They must also be articulate, easily communicating issues and solutions, sometimes to a non-technical team. Finally, look for candidates who are good team players. Jira developers often work closely with other departments.
What Skills To Look for When Hiring a Jira Developer
An important step in the hiring process is to define Jira developer skills, laying the foundation for the talent level you want to attract. Balance outlining the indispensable skills they must have with leaving room for those unique circumstances where a candidate may excel in other ways.
First, consider the technical skills, making a list of those relevant to the task. For Jira developers, you may need:
- Jira workflow configuration: the ability to customize and adapt workflows to suit different projects
- Jira Query Language: proficiency in creating advanced queries in Jira
- API integrations: experience integrating Jira with other systems
- Groovy scripting: the ability to use Groovy for advanced scripting
- Understanding of Agile methods: the ability to use Agile project management software and understand Agile principles
A well-rounded candidate also have relevant soft skills:
- Showing the ability to articulate technical concepts to stakeholders at the company
- Thinking critically and coming up with effective solutions to complex problems
- Working well in a team setting
- Adapting new tools and technologies
- Showing meticulous attention to detail in design, execution, and maintenance of projects
By taking these components into consideration, you can create a job description that attracts highly qualified candidates who will add real value to your team. More than 65,000 companies worldwide use Jira software programs, with more than 25 million users every month, making it the most popular project management software. Having someone who can work these programs efficiently is essential to your business.
How Much Does It Cost To Hire Jira Developers?
According to Glassdoor, the average pay range for Jira developers is $84,000 to $133,000 annually in 2023. Several factors affect the actual cost. For example, the average pay for someone with less than one year of experience is $90,000/year. The average pay for someone with 7-9 years of experience is around $108,000/year. Other factors impacting the cost include the scope of the job, the developer’s geographical location, and the industry.
Tips for Writing a Jira Developer Job Description
When writing a Jira developers job description, consider more than just the technical skills. Discuss the types of projects you will have them work on and the components of your company culture that they should consider. What technologies will they use, and what teams will they work with on these projects?
Consider the pros and cons of all interview methods. Technical assessments gauge their ability to use Jira software, while behavioral assessments cover their collaborative abilities and problem-solving skills. Use pair programming exercises to evaluate real-world coding and teamwork examples, and keep your strategies uniform for every interview to avoid unintentional biases and foster inclusivity.
Common Interview Questions To Ask When Looking To Hire a Jira Developer
Asking the right questions can provide invaluable insight into their technical and soft skills. Consider these relevant questions and their desirable answers:
- Can you describe your experience with Jira automation? This is a broad question. Look for detailed explanations highlighting the candidate’s ability to create automated custom fields, issue types, and workflows. How did they improve the project’s efficiency?
- How do you manage conflicting priorities in a fast-paced Agile environment? You want them to display a thorough understanding of Agile principles and practical communication skills.
- Describe a time you had to collaborate with other teams while working on a Jira project. Did they show cross-functional communication skills? Were they able to break down obstacles between departments?
- How do you keep up with Jira's latest features and updates? A strong candidate should follow Atlassian updates and participate in forums.
- What is your approach to troubleshooting issues in Jira? Look for systematic methodology in their answer.
Listen carefully to gauge whether a candidate is proficient or has a deeper understanding of the skills you expect when you hire Jira developers.
How To Find Freelance Jira Developers for Hire
To find Jira developers, you can shop from freelance marketplaces, job boards, and outsourcing agencies. Among the various sites to hire Jira developers, Toptal stands out for fast access to world-class talent with zero effort on your end. Always consider speed, experience, and budget before making a choice.
Securing top Jira developers is essential for project success. With targeted hiring and thorough interviews, companies can attract elite talent that elevates project outcomes and organizational performance.
FAQs About Hiring Jira Developers
- Are Jira Developers in Demand?
Jira has evolved since its inception in 2002. It is not a user-friendly platform for non-developers, but the software is so beneficial for project management that the demand for developers continues to grow. Issue trackers like Jira are among the most commonly used programming tools developers use.
- Why Should You Hire a Jira Developer?
- A skilled Jira developer improves project management and workflow. They create, customize, and maintain Jira systems to meet your business goals. They can automate repetitive processes, ensure cross-team coordination, and generate insightful reports, enhancing productivity across the board.
- How Can I Use Jira More Effectively?
- Hiring a Jira developer can significantly optimize your project management workflows. They can customize Jira to your business needs and make your team more efficient. If you want to save time and money, hire Jira developers to automate your systems.
- How Much Does It Cost To Hire a Jira Developer?
The cost of a Jira developer can vary drastically depending on their experience, skills, and location. For example, freelancers on Upwork can range from $21/hr to over $200/hr. The cost can be higher on some sites based on additional administrative fees.
- Where Can I Hire Jira Developers?
- Toptal, Upwork, ClearHub, MindTrust, and UpStack are our top choices for online marketplaces. You can explore our list of the best remote hiring sites for more options.
- How To Hire Jira Developers
The steps for hiring Jira developers include:
- Defining the job requirements
- Searching multiple job boards, freelance marketplaces, and professional networks for candidates
- Screening resumes and administering assessments
- Asking pointed questions to reveal the candidate’s experience
You may use a short-term contract as a trial period to make sure the fit is correct.