Companies can face many challenges when trying to keep up with the constant changes in the tech industry, especially regarding the unique skills required to handle GraphQL development. The demand for GraphQL developers spiked significantly due to the language’s efficiency in building scalable and user-friendly application programming interfaces. For example, REST APIs were the standard just ten years ago. Today, GraphQL continues to grow as the chosen language for many organizations. Staying ahead of and matching market trends is an essential hiring strategy. However, this high demand also makes it challenging to find the top talent in a large global pool of developers.
|Company||Use of GraphQL||Future Plans|
|Crucial||Used in third-party digital transformations expertly||Continued use of GraphQL, transitioning more into direct interaction with sensitive HIPAA and financial data|
|GitHub||Solved problems with managing customer requests for sensitive data||Diving all-in with the use of GraphQL, given the success of isolated projects within the GitHub platform|
|Trulia||Unified its REST APIs into one source to resolve issues with inconsistency in their methods for collecting data||Using GraphQL as the only source of truth for all data collected through the company’s many applications|
Hiring a Freelance GraphQL Developer
Choosing to hire a freelance GraphQL developer comes with many benefits beyond just saving on overhead costs. For example, freelancers offer flexibility and engagement for specific projects, phases, or tasks, and allow for adjustments based on job scale and scope. That adaptability is particularly useful in industries where technological needs evolve quickly. Tapping into a global talent pool means access to a broader range of GraphQL developers with specific skills and experiences that can benefit your company.
What Does a GraphQL Developer Do?
On a basic level, GraphQL developers implement the query language GraphQL for APIs to create more efficient, flexible, and robust web applications. They are responsible for building and maintaining those APIs and enabling front-end developers to query multiple data types in a single request. They also work on schema definitions, resolve functions, and facilitate optimal data storage and retrieval operations. Their role often extends to collaboration with front-end developers to ensure seamless integration of the client and server sides, enhancing the overall application performance and user experience.
The relevant skills for a GraphQL developer often include proficiency in backend development technologies like Node.js, a firm grasp of REST API patterns, and experience with databases like SQL and NoSQL. Understanding tech like React or Angular can also benefit companies by helping to bridge the gap between backend and frontend development and by streamlining the process.Why hire GraphQL developers? The benefits include having an expert in the versatility of GraphQL, which allows them to work on projects ranging from small startups to complex enterprise applications. Whether you need someone to expose an API for a mobile app, build internal data systems, or create APIs for third-party developer consumption, GraphQL developers can handle these diverse needs.
This encapsulates the dual advantage companies experience when they hire GraphQL developers. Companies often need the ability to query precisely what will minimize server load and boost application speed to improve the overall user experience.
If you are searching for GraphQL developers for hire, you should know that they are pivotal in projects that require efficient data handling and real-time updates. Companies operating in fields such as e-commerce, streaming services, and social media are often the primary beneficiaries of this skill set. GraphQL’s growing prevalence means that you need an effective way to stay competitive in these industries. Therefore, to maximize the chances of project success and stay on top of market changes, companies must hire dedicated GraphQL developers. They are an invaluable asset to modern development teams.
How To Hire GraphQL Developers
During the hiring process, you should clearly articulate what you expect from your new hire and the desired outcomes of current and future projects. This allows you to tailor the job description to align with your immediate and long-term goals. Then, you can search for candidates with the necessary skills and experience in GraphQL APIs through job boards, referrals, recruitment agencies, and the online marketplaces listed in this guide.
You must look for individuals with more than just an understanding of the basic requirements for knowing GraphQL. They should have demonstrable knowledge regarding backend technologies and database management systems. One advantage of using online marketplaces like Toptal is that they test their talent pool beforehand. The best developers often separate themselves from the average through their problem-solving abilities, experience with optimizing server-client data exchanges, and record of efficiently implementing projects.
Differentiating between junior, mid-level, and highly-skilled talent in GraphQL development involves assessing the breadth and depth of their experiences and capabilities.
- Junior developers are often proficient in basic schema design and simple query executions. However, they may lack the expertise for more complex data relationships or performance optimizations.
- Mid-level developers typically have a broader skill set, including implementing real-time updates, assessing errors, and working with persistent queries.
- Highly-skilled or senior developers will typically have the added ability to architect scalable GraphQL APIs. They often have deep expertise in multiple backend and frontend technologies and can strategize, making them most appropriate for complex projects.
The choice between junior, mid-level, and highly-skilled talent should align with your project’s complexity and your company's resources. Junior developers are an excellent fit for smaller projects or startups that can offer hands-on mentorship. Mid-level developers work well for projects with moderate challenges that require low-level architectural decision-making. A senior GraphQL developer is likely the most appropriate for the job if you have a larger corporation with tasks requiring immediate expertise and limited onboarding time.
What Skills To Look for When Hiring a GraphQL Developer
When defining job requirements to hire GraphQL developers, you must consider technical proficiencies, the ability to collaborate, and cultural fit. In addition to a deep understanding of GraphQL and related technologies, the candidate must fit well within the existing team and organizational culture. Some technical skills you should consider for your job description include:
- Proficiency in GraphSQL schema design and query execution
- Strong backend development skills, preferably in Node.js
- Experience working with database management systems such as SQL and NoSQL
- Familiarity with REST API patterns and frontend technologies
Soft skills help you understand how well candidates will work with your staff. Essential examples for GraphQL developers include:
- Excellent problem-solving abilities
- Strong communication skills that show an ability to collaborate
- Attention to detail and commitment to code quality
- Adaptability to evolving technologies and methodologies
According to James Higginbotham, an executive API consultant, GraphQL developer skills should include expertise in API architecture, which requires them to wear six different hats:
- As API planners, they have an overarching view of strategy-building to enhance your company’s API portfolio.
- As API trend spotters, they are gateway users who rely on metrics and dashboards to inform decisions and refine strategy.
- As API reviewers, they possess strong empathy and focus on understanding user requirements.
- As API risk assessors, they can identify potential pitfalls.
- As API advocates, they focus on the business impact of GraphQL API, continually seeking ways to improve the developer experience and overall usability.
- As API creators, they invest in the improvement of existing GraphQL APIs and monitor feedback to improve the user experience.
When a developer is in sync with the organizational culture, it can lead to higher job satisfaction, better performance, and greater engagement. The interview process allows you to assess candidates’ communication skills, work ethic, and team dynamics.
How Much Does It Cost To Hire GraphQL Developers?
The average salary for a GraphQL developer is $109,843 annually, or $52 hourly. It can vary significantly based on skill level, experience, geographical location, and project requirements. Developers may cost over $162,000 per year on the high end.
Tips for Writing a GraphQL Developer Job Description
Creating a GraphQL developer job description highlights the technical and soft skills you want from a new hire. Mention project examples, and include aspects of company culture they should know. Technical assessments help gauge their level of expertise, but behavioral interviews teach you more about soft skills. Pair programming exercises offer a realistic job preview, but can be time-consuming. Incorporate questions that address problem-solving, teamwork, and communication skills. Consider implementing blind recruitment techniques that hide identities and reduce unconscious bias.
Common Interview Questions To Ask When You Are Looking To Hire a GraphQL Developer
Your interview questions should address skills and character assessments. For example, consider the following questions and their desirable answers:
- Can you explain the differences between REST APIs and GraphQL? The candidate should articulate examples like GraphQL’s more flexible query language, allowing clients to request exact data, and reducing over- and under-fetching.
- How do you optimize GraphQL queries for performance? They should mention techniques like batching queries and using query complexity analysis.
- Can you describe a challenging technical problem you solved recently and the approach you took? Look for answers that focus on more than the problem. They should address what they learned from the experience and how they worked with others.
- How do you handle disagreements in a team setting? You want them to address the importance of open communication and compromise. They should show that they can maintain professionalism and collaborate even after a disagreement.
- Can you describe a successful team project and your role in it? They should discuss goals and how the team worked together to reach them. What specific contributions did they make?
By incorporating a mix of questions and using them consistently for every interviewee, you can develop a better view of a candidate’s capabilities and suitability for the role.
How To Find Freelance GraphQL Developers for Hire
To find GraphQL developers, explore professional networks, industry events, and coding boot camps. Evaluate sites to hire GraphQL developers based on hiring speed and talent matching. Toptal excels at quickly hiring top talent with minimal effort from you. Consider factors like experience, budget, and remote options as well.The roadmap for hiring GraphQL developers covers everything from writing a job description to interviewing and sourcing talent. A strategic hiring approach is crucial for capitalizing on GraphQL’s extensive capabilities and ensures you find someone who only brings about project success.
Hiring GraphQL Developers - FAQs
- How To Hire GraphQL Developers
The basic steps for hiring GraphQL developers include:
- Using our tips to outline your job description
- Sourcing candidates on online marketplaces, job boards, or via other methods
- Conducting skill assessments
- Checking references and experience
- Offering a trial project or period
The interview process will help you assess whether candidates will fit your company culture and integrate well with your team.
- Why Should You Hire a GraphQL Developer?
- GraphQL developers will help you build more efficient and adaptable APIs. They optimize the manipulation and querying of data and bring the advantage of tailored data retrieval, reducing the load on servers and improving the user experience. They also facilitate more accessible front- and back-end integration to speed up development cycles and strengthen departmental collaboration. Hiring someone with this skill set will help you stay competitive in the constantly evolving mobile app development landscape.
- How Much Does It Cost To Hire a GraphQL Developer?
The average salary for a GraphQL developer is $109,843 annually for full-time, salaried employees. For freelancers hired by the hour, the average pay is $53 per hour. Several factors can impact the cost, including the job scope, the developer’s geographical location, and their experience level.
- Are GraphQL Developers in Demand?
The technology for GraphQL developers is in high demand, thanks to the diverse pool of applications it serves. According to the most recent State of GraphQL Report, 47.9% of developers use GraphQL for personal websites or apps, 40.4% for APIs, and 19.5% for public APIs intended for third-party developers. This wide range of utilities highlights GraphQL’s adaptability and efficiency, making it a highly-used and much-needed coding language.
- Where Can I Hire GraphQL Developers?
Toptal, Upwork, Turing, Proxify, and Optymize are our top choices for freelance marketplaces to hire GraphQL developers. For more, check out our complete list of the best sites.