Choosing the right tools to accomplish any task is vital, and selecting the best Power Automate developers for your project is no different. Automation technologies, capabilities, and uses advance rapidly, and you need qualified developers to maintain your company’s competitive edge. Mediocre talent rarely produces high-quality results, even if they use cutting-edge technologies.
A recent survey by McKinsey & Company showed that 70% of organizations and companies worldwide have at least a pilot program to automate some business processes, and that figure continues to trend upward. Most survey respondents name automation as a primary factor in their company’s success.
Power Automate solutions can provide improved interactions and experiences with employees and customers alike. You can automate and implement targeted marketing strategies, complete financial transactions, set up procurement processes, and use these tools for many other necessary tasks that make up the average business day.
Hiring skilled Power Automate developers has many potential benefits for your company:
- Increase efficiency and productivity
- Save time
- Reduce labor costs
- Decrease errors and security risks
With so many businesses including automation in their digital transformations, the competition to hire top-notch developers is fierce. After identifying top talent, you must attract them and make them want to work for you instead of someone else.
The more information you have, the better your chance of hiring competent Power Automate developers who can make meaningful contributions to your projects. We compiled this guide of top hiring sites, role-specific skills and responsibilities, salary data, job description advice, and interview tips to teach you how to hire Power Automate developers.
Use the resources in this hiring guide to better understand what Power Automate developers do and create a hiring strategy to bring top-notch developers to your team.
Microsoft’s Power Automate is a robust platform that allows you to automate various tasks that will benefit your organization.
|- Lower hourly costs
|- No associated payroll taxes
|- No benefits expenses
|- No overhead costs
|- Various payment models
|- Fast and easy team scaling to meet workflow demands
|- No long-term commitment
|- Risk-free trial periods
|- Broader selection of skill sets than you can find locally
|- Developers at all skill levels
|- Hire in days as opposed to months with traditional hiring methods
|- Faster project start times
Hiring a Freelance Power Automate Developer
The trend toward remote work gives you more hiring structure choices. While you can still hire part-time or full-time employees to work on-site, local talent pools often limit your options. When you hire a freelance Power Automate developer, you have multiple benefits:
- Worldwide talent pool
- Increased flexibility
- Faster hiring and project start dates
- Cost savings
Some freelance hiring sites like Toptal let you assess developers during a risk-free trial period.
What Does a Power Automate Developer Do?
As the world’s largest software vendor, Microsoft offers multiple low-code automation tools through its Power Platform. Along with Power BI, Power Pages, and Power Apps, Power Automate accelerates development times and decreases development costs.
Robotic process automation allows technologies to perform many kinds of repetitive tasks that free your human workforce to work on more complex objectives. RPA Microsoft Power Automate is a cloud-based platform that lets developers create streamlined, customized automated solutions without needing to do much coding.
Why hire Power Automate developers? These professionals can use Power Automate to:
- Perform process and task mining to recommend automation solutions and optimize your business processes
- Develop automated solutions powered by AI and robotic process automation to use in your applications, websites, and internal systems
- Incorporate governance, security, and monitoring into your automated systems, allowing for effortless scaling
- Incorporate various automated solutions into your company’s tech stack, increasing the pace of your digital transformation
Such capabilities provide tangible benefits to businesses.
“This way of working speeds up innovation, rather than the old way of having analysts map issues for months and then giving those to a developer to interpret. The way we work now solves the real problems our workers have.”
Jacqui Peck , Power Apps developer
Microsoft gives these compelling statistics:
- 93% of Fortune 500 businesses utilize Microsoft’s Power Automate tools.
- The Microsoft Power Platform reduces app development costs by 45%.
- Composite organizations can realize a 140% return on investment by utilizing Power Platform tools.
Once you decide to take advantage of the many possibilities the Power Platform offers, you will need to hire dedicated Power Automate developers to reap the most benefits.
You may decide to start your project with consulting services. These professionals can examine and analyze your existing structures and processes to identify areas where integrating automated processes would be beneficial.
The consultancy services and development teams you choose should have a thorough knowledge of Power Automate’s capabilities. They must also:
- Have well-honed conceptual and problem-solving skills
- Understand business processes
- Be able to develop solutions based on data analysis
- Communicate well with stakeholders to understand project goals and describe viable automated solutions
- Know how to integrate triggers and actions into sustained customized workflows using Power Automate
You may want to find developers who have completed projects similar to yours. Depending on the nature of your project, you may need to find developers with additional skill sets. Learn more about what to look for in our other hiring guides.
Companies across most industries use Power Automate, formerly called Flow, to automate customer service functions, perform assigned tasks, empower public relations or marketing strategies, streamline production, and more. As Microsoft explains, with the right hires you can use this platform to work less and do more.
How To Hire Power Automate Developers
As with any business project, you must develop a comprehensive plan before you begin hiring. This plan should clearly define your project’s:
- Nature, scope, and goals
- Desired starting timeline and how long the project will remain active
- Personnel requirements
- Role-based job descriptions and responsibilities
After you determine your team’s composition, you will need to decide on your Power Automate developer sourcing and hiring strategies. Although you can hire employees, utilizing freelance Power Automate developers is often the better option. The top 15 sites in this guide are excellent places to search for qualified project managers, individual developers, and teams of developers who meet your project requirements.
As you search, you will see developers claiming junior-, mid-, and senior-level skills. The more experience a developer has using a particular skill, the higher skill ranking they have. Bright junior-level developers may perform the same quality work as seniors, though, so do not automatically assume that a senior-level developer means you are getting the better applicant.
With that being said, senior developers generally have a broader skill set that includes project management experience. You will usually pay significantly higher amounts to hire senior-level staff. Your project complexity and budget may determine which developers to hire.
When you compare applicants, remember that technical competency is only part of what you need to think about. Also look for candidates who:
- Have experience in your industry
- Stay on top of new technologies and trends
- Prioritize your goals
Talent-matching services like Toptal consider these factors when matching you with developers.
Deciding which developers to hire is often challenging, especially if you make the commitment of hiring part-time or full-time employees. Using Toptal can simplify the process. You can observe a developer’s work during a two-week trial period to assess their skills and team fit without risk, making you more comfortable with your selections.
What Skills To Look For When Hiring Power Automate Developers
As you think about Power Automate developer skills to look for, make a comprehensive list that includes technical and soft skills. If you are not sure how to identify or vet these skills, use a site like Toptal for sourcing. These sites know what qualities candidates should have based on your project requirements, and they can advise how many team members you need by considering your project scope.
To complete a project successfully, developers need various technical skills:
- An in-depth understanding of Microsoft Power Automate flows, AI Builder, the Microsoft Dataverse, and the Windows desktop environment
- Experience designing, developing, deploying, and maintaining automation solutions using various tools and approaches
- Familiarity with various Microsoft applications, including Office components
- Experience with the processes, etc., you want to automate
Surprisingly, the person with the best technical skills may not be the best person for your project. The best candidates will also possess invaluable soft skills, such as:
- Adaptability, flexibility, and emotional intelligence
- Creativity, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills
- Self-motivation, time management, and prioritization
- Communication, including written and oral fluency in English (or your preferred language) and active listening skills
- Team mentality, collaboration, and cultural fit
- The ability to work well under pressure
- Attention to detail
Your Power Automate development team may be located in various parts of the globe, and they need to work cohesively to accomplish your goals.
How Much Does It Cost To Hire Power Automate Developers?
The average annual salary for Power Automate developers in the U.S. is $125,908 or $61 per hour. Yearly earnings range from $34,000 to $179,500 depending on skill levels, project complexity, and location. Hiring freelancers often presents significant cost savings without sacrificing quality.
Tips for Writing a Power Automate Developer Job Description
To attract top talent, you need to craft a compelling job description to convince these developers to choose to work for your company rather than your competitors. Describe:
- Required and desired qualifications and skill sets
- Project description
- Job duties and responsibilities
- Hiring and starting timeframes, along with the expected project duration
- Whether it is a part- or full-time employee or freelance position
Along with role-based information, include company highlights, goals, and achievements, and explain what your brand represents.
Even if you use Toptal or other sites that pre-vet developers, you can require applicants to take technical skill assessments when they apply for your positions. Comparing results may pinpoint the best candidates, but you should still use interviews to assess soft skills.
Common Interview Questions To Ask When You Are Looking To Hire a Power Automate Developer
Employment laws require diversity and inclusivity in the workplace, so you need to use consistent interview questions and scoring models for all applicants. The way you phrase these questions is important for gauging how well the candidate understands what you are saying, their thought process, and the ability to communicate their answers. The way a candidate responds is as important as knowing the correct answers to definitive questions, such as:
- How would you describe a Power Automate environment? Where you can store and manage your business data
- What are the different Power Automate flows? Cloud, desktop, and business process
All the candidates you select for interviews probably have the right technical qualifications for your positions. Although you will need to include technical questions, an interview allows you to assess soft skills.
While they can be difficult to gauge, these general individual traits can be the determining factor in hiring decisions. A good way of evaluating soft skills is to compose an intentionally vague question. Pay careful attention to whether the candidate asks for clarifications before answering and their confidence level and attention to detail.
How To Find Freelance Power Automate Developers for Hire
Job boards, freelance marketplaces, professional networking, and talent-matching services can identify potential candidates for your Power Automate team. When you are comparing sites to hire Power Automate developers, consider:
- How much time and effort you want to spend on sourcing and vetting
- How quickly you need to hire developers
- Your budget
- Available skill sets
- The level of commitment you want to make and whether you get a risk-free trial period
Select the site that best meets your needs.
Hiring top-notch developers lets you make the most of what Power Automate has to offer. Use the invaluable information in this hiring guide to develop a smart hiring strategy.
Hiring Power Automate Developers FAQs
- Why Should You Hire a Power Automate Developer?
As technology continues to advance, people are expecting the immediate results made possible through robotic process automation and similar tools. Rather than creating new applications from scratch every time, you can use Power Automate’s platform, featuring reusable workflows you can customize.
Microsoft’s Power Platform is a consistent leader in powering enterprise low-code applications, and the capabilities and uses of Power Automate continue to grow every day. Your company can derive many benefits from utilizing this robust platform, but you need experienced developers to design the best solutions.
- Where Can I Hire Power Automate Developers?
- Toptal, Arc.dev, Guru, Upwork, and Concetto Labs can help you source, identify, and hire Power Automate developers. Compare what these and the other sites in our guide have to offer, then choose which works best for you.
- How To Hire Power Automate Developers
This guide provides all the information you need to hire Power Automate developers following these basic steps:
- Create your project parameters and description.
- Determine how many team members you need and your hiring structure.
- Write a compelling job description.
- Choose your sourcing site from our top 15 list.
- Interview selected candidates using carefully formatted questions and scoring models.
When you use a site like Toptal, you can evaluate developers during a risk-free trial period.
- How Much Does It Cost To Hire a Power Automate Developer?
The cost of hiring Power Automate developers can vary greatly, depending on factors like:
- Project complexity and start date
- Hiring method
- Skill levels and skill sets
You will have to pay for benefits, payroll taxes, and overhead costs when you hire employees. Be sure to factor in those costs when you choose your hiring method. Freelancers typically cost much less, but that does not mean you sacrifice quality.
- Are Power Automate Developers in Demand?
Most companies are now implementing digital transformations to take advantage of the multiple benefits. The field of software development has one of the highest projected growth rates, with 26% growth expected between 2022 and 2032. With Microsoft Power Platform being a leading choice for automation, the high demand for Power Automate developers should continue to grow.