Software engineering is a rapidly growing field of development, and the demand for great software engineers is on the rise. With the right resources, finding talented freelancers can be an efficient way of augmenting your team quickly and with minimal investment.
Whether you’re an experienced hiring manager or just starting out, hiring freelance software engineers can be a fruitful endeavor if done correctly. Here's a guide on how to find trustworthy and skilled software engineers that can help bring your product ideas to reality.
What Is Software Engineering?
Software engineering is the application of engineering principles and practices to the design, development, and maintenance of software systems. It involves the process of developing computer software systems to meet specific needs. It includes activities such as analyzing user requirements, designing and coding software solutions, testing and validating these solutions, and maintaining existing applications. Software engineers also develop programs to increase system functionality, reliability, usability, maintainability and scalability for customers.
What Are Software Engineers and What Do They Do?
A software engineer is a programmer who is responsible for designing, testing, and evaluating software. They use their knowledge of computer programming to solve complex problems and create applications that meet the needs of businesses and their customers. Software engineers need to be proficient in multiple programming languages, know how to work with databases, understand user interface design principles, and have strong analytical problem-solving skills.
The programming languages depend on the industry they are working in and the software they are developing. However, the most common languages are:
- Microsoft C#
Software engineers today are some of the most vital people in the economy. Tech hiring continues to gain momentum in the U.S. with software developers and engineers accounting for about a third of job postings.
The technology, telecommunications, and media industries will face a talent shortage by 2030. Besides, hiring an in-house engineers for short-term projects may be too expensive for you.
One solution to overcome the tech talent shortage is to find and hire freelance software engineers.
Software Engineers vs Software Developers
Event that often times, these two roles seem to be used interchangeably, it's important to know that there is difference between a software developer and engineer.
The main difference between a software developer and software engineer is in the scope of work that each performs. A software developer is someone who writes and tests code to create programs, while a software engineer designs large-scale systems. Software engineers have more responsibilities such as creating frameworks and architectures, designing algorithms, conducting system performance evaluations, creating specifications for systems, and providing advice on security measures.
When Should I Hire a Dedicated Software Engineer?
A company should hire a software engineer when it wants to develop new software projects or improve existing products. A software engineer will be responsible for researching, designing, coding and testing the application. They can help take your company to the next level, by building new features and taking on challenges that may require creative problem solving.
An expert software engineer can help you in the following ways:
- Improve your existing product or service
- Develop new features
- Automating your processes and workflows to reduce costs
- Increasing employee productivity and satisfaction
- Increase your options for serving customers better
- Enhancing security to reassure clients, employees, and partners
What Skills to Look for When Hiring a Software Engineer
It's not only about coding skills. Software engineer candidates should be able to understand business goals and how they translate into technical requirements. He/she must also have soft skills such as strong problem solving skills, be comfortable working independently, and be able to work well under pressure. Additionally, during the interview process they should demonstrate excellent communication skills, be flexible, creative, and organized, and be able to handle multiple projects simultaneously. Some technical or engineering skills you need to include in your job description are:
- Experience with application frameworks (e.g., AngularJS, ReactJS).
- Knowledge of database technologies (SQL, NoSQL).
- Familiarity with cloud services (AWS, Azure) is also helpful.
How to Recruit and Hire Great Software Engineers
Are you looking to hire a software specialist who can help take your business forward? If so, try one of the following three options: full-time, part-time and freelance. A lot of businesses hire contractors because they are often cheaper than full-time employees. They also offer greater flexibility and don't require benefits or an office space.
How to Succeed at Onboarding Your Software Engineer?
Here are some onboarding techniques for your remote development team to promote a sense of camaraderie, improve performance, and reduce turnover:
Use remote-access software—Solutions such as documented platforms, conference agenda services, and video codecs can help the freelancer seamlessly engage in practical business activities.
Quick messaging services—Quick messaging technologies can help improve office communication and productivity. A communication strategy is critical for creating a collaborative environment.
Allow flexible working—Flexible work schedules and temporal zones will help promote professional habits, improve growth performance, and make freelancers more content.
Plan regular video calls—Teleconferencing will help resolve many issues with supervising your remote engineering team. Video calls encourage interaction, ensure business objectives are clear, and help get the freelancer’s opinions when getting feedback.
Clarify project scope—Set up specific expectations for clean-cut communication. The objectives will help you focus on what the freelancer achieves versus how long it takes them to accomplish the same.
Provide resources and support—Assign a coach to guide new team members from their first task and to check in regularly. Provide links to templates, tools, and systems they may require during the onboarding process.
How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Software Engineer?
Junior software engineering role earns an average annual salary of $65,000 by November 2022, mid-level experts with five to nine years of experience earn over $85,000, and senior ones $100,000.
According to a BLS report the annual wage for software engineers is $105,071. However, the salaries depend on education, experience, industry, and location. The more experience the talent can demonstrate, the more competitive salary they can request.
Where to Find Software Engineers For Hire?
In today’s day and age, the need for software developers and engineers is high because it is impossible to build a long-term successful brand without a great online presence. Hiring process can be frustrating but not being able to find the best talent can cost you valuable resources.
Assessing whether someone is good for your project or is he thoroughly vetted is a lot of work that takes up time that can be better used somewhere else. This is why there are websites and platforms that can help ease your hiring process.
Finding a great software expert shouldn’t be as difficult as finding a needle in a haystack. There are great matching services such as Toptal that take care of the initial work of interviewing and vetting the candidates. Depending on your needs, they recommend the top software engineer making your hiring process a breeze.
Dedicated and qualified talent spend a lot of their time on sites such as these to hone their skills so their talents can be a great use to your company.
You can also consider going for more general marketplaces such as Upwork and Fiverr if you want to save costs but invest more time finding, vetting, interviewing potential hires.
Ultimately, your choice will depend on multiple factors such as:
- How quickly do you need to hire an engineer
- What kind of experience and qualification should they have
- Whether you’re qualified enough to assess their skills
- How important is quality to you
- Whether you’re looking for local or remote workers
The best sites to hire freelance software engineers above and tips for picking the ideal candidate will help you locate talented programmers that meet your business or project requirements.
Hiring Software engineers FAQs
- Are Software Engineers in Demand?
- Rapid technological advancements and the world’s migration to digital solutions mean talented software engineers are in high demand. These individuals have specialized knowledge and business acumen that can help companies remain relevant, reduce expenses, and increase brand awareness and profits.
- Why Should You Hire a Software Engineer?
- While software developers typically work on individual software programs, a software engineer’s scope of responsibility is more in-depth. Software engineers create a customized, comprehensive structure for complex software systems for large companies.
A competent software engineer evaluates your problems and requirements to design, develop, and implement software solutions. Their intricate systems can facilitate your enterprise’s many functions cohesively.
Software engineers can add value to your organization by:
- Developing new features
- Improving your current systems and offerings
- Automating workflows
- Enhancing security
- How Do I Hire Software Engineers?
- You may choose to hire a part-time, full-time, or freelance software engineer. Hiring a qualified freelancer can save money on associated payroll costs and overhead.
Software engineers should possess in-depth knowledge of the following:
- Planning software development
- Software development life cycle
- Integration and compatibility with existing systems
- Systems-level problem-solving skills
- Multiple programming languages
- Where can I find freelance Software engineer developers?
- Some of the best platforms to hire are:
See the complete list of sites to hire Software engineer developers.
- How Much Does It Cost To Hire a Software Engineer?
- If you plan to hire a software engineer, average annual salaries range from $52,500 to $205,000. The national U.S. average is $139,952 per year, equaling $67 per hour. Factors including years of experience, skill levels, and location help determine reasonable compensation amounts.
- What is software engineering?
- Software engineering is the process of developing, designing, deploying and maintaining software applications. It involves design principles, tools, techniques and methods that are employed in the development cycle of software applications. Software engineers work on a variety of tasks such as analysis, design, testing and maintenance in order to deliver perfect software solutions. They use various programming languages, databases, operating systems and other technologies.