This explains why Backend developers are absolutely essential for web development. While a frontend developer works to create the design of your website with HTML, CSS, and web scripting languages, the backend developer makes sure the database is working and that the site transfers data safely and efficiently.
Finding the right backend engineer can feel like an exhausting process, but there are reputable sites and businesses that can make your search for a hiring expert much easier. While all the sites listed here can be helpful to you in some way, you’ll want to evaluate your needs before selecting the service that helps you hire backend developer talent.
Freelance marketplaces can help you find affordable developers in a limited amount of time. Toptal, unlike many of the other freelance marketplaces, also prioritizes quality, only accepting the top 3% of backend developers who apply.
Job boards and recruiting services can help you find permanent hires. Job boards are cost-effective but you’ll be in for a lengthy hiring process.
Ultimately, you’ll want to consider a number of factors before using a website or service:
- Whether you need a lead backend developer or a junior backend developer
- What platforms they need to be familiar with (e.g. Magento backend developer, PHP backend developer, or Ruby backend developer)
- How quickly you need to fill the backend developer position
- What the timeline is for your project
- What the budget is for your project
- Whether or not you feel comfortable hiring a freelance back end developer
- Whether or not you need a frontend and backend developer
Hiring Back-end developers - FAQs
- Why Should You Hire a Back-End Developer?
Today’s consumers expect lightning-fast and accurate results from online applications. Web app performance is critical; over 50% of mobile site visitors won’t wait more than three seconds for the app to load. Back-end developers perform crucial behind-the-scenes work to make speed and accuracy possible. Typical responsibilities include:
Building and maintaining databases
Developing application programming interfaces
Addressing web app development and functionality issues
Malfunctioning apps often cause customers to go elsewhere, meaning you lose valuable client interactions and potential clients. Back-end developers can keep your apps running smoothly, even for those handling high-volume traffic.
- How Do I Hire Back-End Developers?
Back-end developers may specialize in various areas, including:
These positions require different skill sets, so you should determine the areas of expertise your project requires before beginning your hiring process. You should also set a timeframe, budget and goals.
You may choose to hire one or more part-time, full-time or freelance back-end developers. Finding qualified candidates is easier when you use top sites to browse developer profiles or post a job opening. If you’re uncomfortable judging a candidate’s skills, you can also take advantage of talent-matching services that vet developer qualifications.
- How Much Does It Cost To Hire a Back-End Developer?
The average yearly salary for back-end developers in the U.S. is $119,704 or $58 per hour. Annual salaries range from $11,500 to $176,000 depending on years of experience, location and skill level. Freelancers typically cost less because you won’t pay overhead or associated payroll costs.
- What are the main back-end languages?
- What's the difference between back-end, front-end, and full-stack?
- A full stack developer is a more well-rounded holistic programmer with knowledge and experience across both the front end and back end of a web application. The front end is the visual user interface and how the app or website will look and feel, while the back end is all the data management, code logic, and infrastructure of the app or site.
- How many languages does a back-end developer need to know?
- Experienced developers suggest that all programmers should know at least 3 programming languages. Mainly, Java, Python, and PHP.
- Are back end developers in demand?
The world’s increasing dependence on digital technology and immediate online access means that talented back-end developers will remain in high demand. This demand should increase by 23% by 2031.
- Where can I find back-end developers?
- Stack Overflow
Find more recommended sites to hire a developer.