WordPress platform is one of the most flexible, open-source content management systems and a blogging tool based on PHP and MySQL. It is one of the most popular choices of businesses and individuals to design powerful and unique websites. WordPress development is essentially the skill to design custom websites or web pages using the platform and the variety of custom themes and plugins it offers.
Launched in 2003, WordPress has come a long way In becoming one of the most sought-after and powerful tools. It owns over 64% market share in the CMS market. With numbers so significant, it’s no surprise that businesses, big and small, are always browsing the best sites to hire WordPress developers for their projects.
Companies and organizations must have robust websites to remain competitive in today’s digital world. Specific numbers vary, but studies show that viewers only allow eight seconds for a website to capture their interest before leaving. Audiences expect:
- Easy navigation through a well-designed layout
- Fast loading speeds
- Attractive visuals and customization options
- Clear and complete information
- Multiple ways to interact
WordPress continually offers new and improved features to help its clients create and maintain highly functional sites to attract and retain audiences. Developers and site owners prefer WordPress because of its responsive design, flexible and scalable customization options, easy integrations, and ongoing support.
WordPress has around 60,000 free plug-ins you can utilize to make building your site easier, with more added regularly. A skilled WordPress developer stays up to date on new features and their best uses to keep your site fresh.
The already high demand for WordPress developers should continue to rise as more people migrate to online dependence. Toptal makes it easy to find top-notch WordPress developers.
|Freelance Platform||Trustpilot score||Key point||Vetting||Guarantee||Talent status||Rate & Share|
|1||Toptal||4.8||High-profile clients||Top 3% Talent. Rigorous Vetting||Pay only if satisfied||Freelancers||Yes|
|2||X-Team||4.8||High-performing, on-demand teams of developers||Yes||N/A||Freelancers||Yes|
|3||Upwork||3.9||Large freelancer marketplace||Additional Expert-Vetted program||Payment protection||Freelancers||Yes|
“Toptal makes finding a candidate extremely easy and gives you peace of mind that they have the skills to deliver. I would definitely recommend their services to anyone looking for highly-skilled developers.” — Michael Gluckman , Data Manager, Mxit
|What is Wordpress used for?||WordPress is a versatile content management system used to create and manage websites and blogs.|
|Advantages:||Ease of use, Large plugin ecosystem, Strong community support|
|Disadvantages:||Customization limitations, Security risks, Performance and scalability|
|Freelancers average hourly rate:||$25 to $100+ per hour, depending on factors such as skill lever, experience, location and complexity of the project.|
|Where to hire?||Freelance marketplaces, Job board, Online communities and forums, Professional networks, Industry-specific job portals|
Advantages of WordPress Development for Businesses
For a platform to command over 64% of the market share, it has to come with some of the best advantages (and it does). Some of the advantages of WordPress development for businesses include:
- It is free and easy to download and install. In just a few minutes, you’ll be inside the CMS interface building your website. Easy to set up the development environment.
- It is incredibly popular for its user-friendly interface. It also offers a visual editor which shows you the results of your changes in real-time.
- WordPress also works really well with Google Analytics tracking which helps you gain access to various pieces of data to drive more results for your site.
- WordPress offers a wide variety of themes giving you enough and more options to change the appearance of your site. It also takes away the discomfort of starting from a blank page.
- While WordPress offers a plethora of features within its software, it also gives you access to over 50 thousand plugins at its official library to make your website more interactive.
Challenges of WordPress Development for Businesses
If something seems too good to be true, it might be. While WordPress is the most sought-after software option for businesses that are always looking at the best websites to hire WordPress developers, the platform comes with its fair share of challenges. For example:
- With its popularity, WordPress websites are also key targets for exploitation. Hackers and cyber-criminals spend a log of time and effort attempting to hijack WordPress websites and damage businesses.
- WordPress developers also face the struggle of having no connectivity to a database which often results in many error messages.
- WordPress is constantly updating its systems and sometimes these updates can drastically affect your CMS, theme, plugins affecting the smooth functioning of your website.
- One of the reasons for WordPress’s popularity and why businesses hire the best WordPress developers are the plugins. However, over-dependence or using too many plugins can cause your website to slow down.
What Is a WordPress Developer and What Do They Do?
A WordPress programmer is a type of developer who understands the platform in and out and can create beautiful WordPress websites for businesses. When you hire the best WordPress developer, you could end up working with someone who is so well acclaimed with the infrastructure and ecosystem of the platform that they may focus on improving the software or creating new products such as plugins and themes. There are various things a freelance developer can do:
- Website design and creation
- Theme development and/or customizations
- Custom plugins or extensions development
- APIs and integrations with third party tools
- Support and maintenance
- E-commerce functionality, Blog posts
How To Hire Great WordPress Developers?
Everyone’s development projects are different. You might need a single developer to update your custom theme development or a team of developers to create a new website from scratch. Regardless, the first step of your process to hire talented developers is defining your project. Include relevant details, such as:
- Nature, scope, goals, and longevity
- Hiring structure (part-time, full-time, freelance, or remote developers)
- Desired timeframes
- Any specialized skill sets and skill levels you need
Armed with this information, you can create a detailed job description. Next, decide how you will source candidates. Using the top sites listed in our hiring guide, you can search developer profiles, post open positions, and utilize talent-matching services to locate qualified developers.
A developer’s skill level doesn’t necessarily mean their work is better; skill levels progress as developers gain more experience. With large development teams, entry-level and junior developers typically perform simpler tasks, leaving senior developers to manage the development process and handle advanced duties.
However, many lower-level candidates can produce the same code quality as higher-level developers and perform to high standards. Your project requirements will help determine how many developers you need at each skill level. Your budget may also be a contributing factor because senior developers may charge significantly higher fees.
Not many people have the qualifications to vet a developer’s technical skills. Sites like Toptal take care of this necessary step for you, leaving you to decide between pre-vetted, highly capable candidates during interviews.
A key factor to consider when hiring a WordPress developer is to look at the best sites to hire WordPress developers. These sites have been in business for a long time and have done the necessary research and vetting needed to ensure that the developers you get are highly qualified and efficient to take on the role of a WordPress developer for your business.
When thinking about hiring a WordPress developer, think about whether you want someone full-time, part-time, or freelancer. While each option offers its share of pros and cons, one that stands out is hiring a freelancer.
Here are some benefits of hiring a freelance WordPress developer:
- You can always hire another developer if the one you have isn’t meeting your standards.
- You can hire a WordPress developer who is an expert in your particular industry or niche instead of going for a generalist.
- The best sites to hire WordPress developers only have candidates that are thoroughly vetted and have a strong portfolio.
How Much Does It Cost To Hire a WordPress Developer?
The average WordPress developer salary in the USA is $70,000 per year or $35.90 per hour. Entry-level positions start at $55,000 per year while most experienced workers make up to $105,000 per year.
What Skills/requirements To Look for Before Hiring a WordPress Developer
Some of the key skills/requirements to look for before hiring a WordPress developer include:
- Experience using debugging tools such as Chrome Inspector and Firebug.
- Thorough knowledge of front-end and back-end website development.
- Knowledge of responsive and adaptive design.
- Experience with the Qt Widgets module.
- Soft and communication skills
Tips for Writing a WordPress Developer Job Description
Your job description needs to encourage developers to want to work for your company rather than another client. Briefly describe your company’s culture, goals, and achievements. Provide project and role-based information, such as:
- Desirable and required qualifications
- Timeframe and project duration
- Project and role descriptions
- Hiring method
Think strategically: what would you want to know as a job seeker, and what might make a specific job description more appealing than others?
Some hiring sites let you require technical testing in the application process. Comparing each candidate’s results from the same test can help you choose the best applicant.
Common Interview Questions To Ask When You Are Looking To Hire a WordPress Developer
Workplaces must practice fair, diverse, and inclusive hiring methods. Compile a list of developer interview questions, then ask each applicant the same questions. You should also devise a consistent scoring method for the most accurate and impartial results.
Applicants selected for interviews possess the technical skills they need, but you should still ask some technical questions, such as:
- Which plug-ins do you recommend for my project, and why? Answers should demonstrate an understanding of your project and the various WordPress plug-ins.
- What WordPress capabilities can you use to improve my website? Candidates should be familiar with WP features and have ready suggestions tailored to your site.
An interview is your chance to judge soft skills, which are arguably as important as technical skills. A well-rounded developer should possess:
Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including active listening
Creative thinking and problem-solving skills
The ability to work well under pressure
Asking vague situational questions is an excellent way to assess soft skills. Leaving out vital details should prompt pointed questions before the applicant supplies an answer. You can gauge attention to detail, communication skills, and approach to solving problems.
Choosing the Right Site To Hire WordPress Developers
Finding the best sites to hire Wordpress experts for your project requirements is not always easy. You likely won't know how to navigate the complexities of hiring a WordPress developer and the exact job description you should be putting out there. That's completely okay—there's plenty of sites, resources, and Wordpress development services to help you along the way.
Matching services like Toptal, Codeable.io, and Gun.io, are great solutions for employers searching for tech talent and website development. For those short on time with high-quality developers as a priority, Toptal and Codeable.io are superb choices.
On the other end of the spectrum, there are freelance marketplaces like Upwork, People Per Hour, and Freelancer that allow you to cast a much wider net for WordPress developers.
Employers looking for full-time Wordpress developers may also benefit from utilizing Stack Overflow and GitHub's job boards, which can provide wonderful exposure to the WordPress developer community.
Specialized job boards like WPHired and WordPress Jobs can help you pinpoint the developers you need for your project.
Freelance marketplaces like Upwork, Freelancer, and Guru allow you to quickly connect with developers, but you'll have to care for the hiring details yourself. If you have ample time to devote to screening candidates and are confident in your ability to interview WordPress developers, they are a great choice.
Job boards, marketplaces, and matching services all have their uses. Which site will best serve you will depend on your specific situation.
Ultimately, which sites you employ depends on a multitude of factors, such as:
- How quickly you need to hire a WordPress developer (i.e., your timeline)
- How much experience you have hiring WordPress developers
- Your web design and project management needs
- Whether or not you're equipped to test technical skills with Wordpress platforms
- How many developers you need to bring on for this Wordpress development
- What level of experience those WordPress developers need
- Whether or not you're open to remote workers, freelancers, or development companies
- Your budget constraints
- How important quality is to your project(s)
Hiring WordPress developers - FAQs
- Why Hire a WordPress Developer?
These statistics demonstrate why businesses need to have robust websites:
- Almost 99% of consumers find local businesses through online searches
- 47% of shoppers research business websites before making purchases
- 43% of American consumers prefer online shopping
Consumer trends and expectations change rapidly, and you must stay current to maintain a competitive edge.
A competent WordPress developer understands evolving trends and keeps abreast of new or improved WordPress features. They can use this combined knowledge to meet your goals, whether those goals are increasing exposure, advertising a blowout sale, or instilling confidence in your brand.
- What is the difference between WordPress and HTML?
- HTML (Hypertext Markup Language) is one of the most popular coding languages used to create web pages, from full-fledged websites to landing pages to blog sites. WordPress, on the other hand, is a platform, or specifically a content management system, where users can publish content and host media without having to write a single line of code.
- Is WordPress easy to learn?
- Yes, WordPress is simple and easy to learn. WordPress is easy to use with simple drag-and-drop and point-and-click features and a host of plugins that make it easy to operate the platform.
- Are Wordpress developers in demand?
Wordpress developers are in demand because Wordpress is used widely across the web. It is estimated that 35% of all sites use Wordpress. Of course, many of these could be small and non-professional sites, but also large growing companies use Wordpress too to upload content to their site. Because of its popularity, Wordpress developers are in demand. But then there are subsets of Wordpress developers, like theme developers, plug-in developers, performance engineers, and more. The size of your site and the scope of your project will impact the type of Wordpress developer you need to hire. Hire a high-quality Wordpress developer.
- Where do I find WordPress developers?
- GitHub Jobs
- Stack Overflow
See the complete list of sites to hire Wordpress Developers.
- How much does a Wordpress developer cost?
Based on our findings, web developers (including Wordpress developers) make on average $33 per hour. Hire a Wordpress developer with these recommended sites.