using the Android software development kit, while using other programming languages is also possible.
Over the years, Android has matured and built on its strengths to become even more robust, finding its way into various devices, including televisions, smart wear, projectors, and automobiles.
Android is still one of the most used mobile operating systems globally, and the demand for skilled Android developers remains very high. Android developers can enjoy a competitive income and build a satisfying career. According to a Statista report of Q2 2021, users worldwide downloaded nearly 7.9 million apps from Apple Store and 28 billion apps from Google Play.
AI (Artificial Intelligence) will play a vital role in Android mobile app development. The global AI market is estimated to reach $70.94bn by 2023. Android app development can utilize blockchain technology to build decentralized apps that offer speed, privacy, transparency, performance, etc.
Android apps with Blockchain technologies like Ethereum and others will improve operations and save data. Another lucrative app development trend for 2022 is applying 5G technology in Android app development.
For employers, it is easy to hire Android developers, given the number of online platforms and websites now available to find talented software developers. Some of the best sites to hire Android developers include Toptal, Arc, Gun.io, Fiverr, Upwork, etc.
Review of Android Development
One of the main reasons Android is so popular and important is that it is relatively simple to get started with. Here are some more reasons why Android is popular and important:
- Android Development is low cost and provides high ROI
- Android is open-source and free!
- Android development is versatile across a host of device types and screen sizes.
- Android boasts a strong community of users, developers, and supporters.
- Android is a tried and tested app development language.
What is an Android Developer?
Toptal defines an Android Developer as responsible for developing applications for devices powered by the Android operating system. Given Android’s dynamic and versatile character, an Android developer must be well-versed with and pay special attention to the application's compatibility with multiple versions of Android and device types.
Given the growing popularity and relentless prowess of the Android operating system, the need for quality Android developers continues to rise.
What Technology Stacks Do Android Developers Use?
A technology stack includes the programming language, framework, components, software, and tools needed to develop, run, and maximize applications. Android developers choose the best from multiple options, depending on the following criteria for your project:
There are four basic components of a mobile app stack:
- Frontend : User interface
- Back-end : Underlying processing
- Development : Platform
- Supporting : Performance, security, and flexibility improvements
Popular Android platforms include Android Studio, Xamarin, Unity, PhoneGap, and Flutter. Compose is a top toolkit for creating user interfaces.
How To Hire A Great Freelance Android Developer
When you’re on the hunt to hire an Android developer, it’s important to verify their expertise and qualifications. Hiring the right expert for your Android development needs can save you time and money. A qualified candidate can also help you with future projects.
The hiring process can be challenging, but we’ve outlined a few tips to help you find the right expert quickly.
Hire an Android app developer who has a good concept of product design so you can assist them without the need to hire or be dependent on a product manager. It’s best to hire an Android developer who has experience developing an app that behaves professionally and with a simple UX.
Hire an Android developer who has experience in releasing apps and publishing them on Google Play. Typically, you should hire an Android developer who knows how to sign and release an application, understand the Play features, and monitor crashes and analytics on specific actions.
Hire an Android developer that has multiple, proudly-owned apps that they created for themselves. And check if they are updated. This shows passion for building apps and is a clear sign that your app is in good hands by someone who loves the craft of building apps more than money.
|Freelance platform||Trustpilot Score||Key Point||Vetting||Guarantee||Free to post projects||alent status||Rate & Share|
|1||Toptal||4.8||High-profile clients||Top 3% Talent. Rigorous Vetting||Pay only if satisfied||$500 as a credit for the first project||Freelancers||Yes|
|2||Hired||4.6||Specialized tech platform||Curated pool of talents||N/a||None, client pays commission||Freelancers||Yes|
|3||Upwork||3.9||Large freelancer marketplace||Additional Expert-Vetted program||Payment protection (escrow)||None, client pays commission||Freelancers||Yes|
Why Hire Expert Freelance Android Developers
While employers can hire full-time Android developers or even part-time Android developers, the smartest option is to hire freelance Android developers. Hiring freelance developers has many significant advantages. Oftentimes it’s cheaper to hire talented freelance developers from abroad. The cost of hiring a freelance developer is also lesser in terms of the perks and hidden costs of hiring a full-time in-house developer. Freelance developers are often highly skilled and efficient as they have worked with multiple clients and treat their craft as a strict profession. Given the number of freelance hiring platforms and a global pool of freelancers at your disposal, it can be easier to find the right candidate online than it is to hire someone full-time locally.
|What is Android development used for?||The Android operating system is by far the most popular, representing 70.89% of the global market share. Creating mobile apps compatible with Android is a must to reach the largest audience.|
|Advantages:||1. Android applications can easily run on the devices of different device manufacturers and screen sizes. 2. Android app development allows you to extensively customize the appearance and performance of an application to build specific features and tailor them according to the needs of that particular app. 3. One of the most significant benefits of Android development is its deep integration with Google. 4. Large, existing libraries and tools can reduce development times.|
|Disadvantages:||1. Security issues due to the lack of strict protocols make Android prone to threats and malicious practices. 2. Android functions on various devices, which makes the testing of Android apps extremely difficult, time-consuming, and expensive. 3. The Google Play store is the largest source of free and paid Android apps, necessitating a marketing strategy to make yours visible. 4. User interfaces and APIs aren’t consistent, resulting in some compatibility issues.|
|Related programming languages:||Java, Kotlin, C++, C#, Python|
|Freelance average hourly rate:||$59 per hour|
|Where to hire?||Toptal, Hired, Upwork, and the other top sites on this page.|
Freelance Android Developer Salary
While a seasoned, well-experienced freelance Android developer can deliver complex apps quickly and without too many bugs for a higher cost, a relatively newer developer can charge you lesser but not without issues that will need ironing out. Certain factors determine the cost of hiring a freelance Android developer:
- Complexity and scope of the project
- The geographic location of the freelance developer and the employer
- Expertise and experience level of the developer
- Past work experience and brands they’ve worked with
What Skills To Look For Before Hiring A Freelance Android DeveloperThe freelance Android developer you are looking for should have excellent technical abilities and a solid background in several development tools, but they also need to have important soft skills as well. As you review applications and conduct interviews, look for the following qualities in your freelance Android developer candidates:
- Expertise in Java Programming.
- Expertise in Android Studio, APIs, XML Coding, SQL, and other development tools.
- Well-versed with Cross-platform solutions and frameworks.
- Ability to learn new technical skills and adapt to changes.
- Strong and effective communication and soft skills.
- Strongly motivated and reliable with a proven track record.
- Keen problem-solving and coding.
- Excellent reviews.
Tips for Writing an Android Developer Job Description
You’ve found an Android developer to hire, but how can you entice them to want to work for you? Write a carefully crafted job description highlighting your company culture, the benefits of working for you, and the contribution the developer would make. Be sure to include:
- A description of your project
- Role responsibilities
- Desired and required qualifications
- Preferred hiring timeframe
- Your project’s projected duration
Be thorough so developers know what you expect.
Interviews may focus on technical skills and experience, soft skills, coding tests, or a combination. Create a scoring model and ask each candidate the same questions to conduct unbiased, fair assessments to ensure inclusivity and diversity.
Common Interview Questions To Ask When You Are Looking To Hire Android Developers
Your shortlisted candidates likely have the technical skills you need, but it’s good to require each candidate to complete the same programming exercise so you can compare results. Impeccable credentials don’t necessarily mean a particular developer is right for your project. Soft skills are also critical; use a situational question to gauge:
- Communication skills
- Attitude, enthusiasm, and personality
- Compatibility with your team
- Problem-solving and critical-thinking skills
- How well the candidate performs under pressure
Keep this question vague and open-ended to encourage candidates to ask for clarifications. You’ll learn a lot about a developer by the questions they ask.
Your interview questions should include:
- How did you contribute to the last projects you completed? The answer should list quantifiable results and give insights into the candidate’s problem-solving skills and teamwork mentality.
- How would you describe your strengths and weaknesses? Beware of candidates who claim they don’t have weaknesses.
- How do you prioritize tasks? The answer should outline an understanding of team vs. individual responsibilities and how to designate critical tasks.
Each candidate should have a thorough knowledge of Android systems. They should also stay abreast of new tools and trends to create innovative, high-quality deliverables.
Choosing The Right Website To Hire Android App DevelopersSmartphone and mobile devices usage is on the rise, and Android, Google's mobile phone operating system, is one of the most popular. To create an app, finding the best sites to hire Android mobile app developers is not always as simple as it seems. Unless you're an experienced tech recruiter, you likely won't know how to navigate the complexities of hiring an Android developer. That's completely okay—there's plenty of sites, application development services, and app development companies to help you along the way.Matching services like Toptal and Gun.io are great solutions for employers searching for tech talent, and for those who are looking to place their trust in experienced Android OS developers. For those short on time with high-quality developers as a priority, Toptal, Gun.io, and Hired are superb choices.
On the other end of the spectrum, there are freelance marketplaces like Upwork, People Per Hour, and Freelancer that allow you to cast a much wider net for Android programmers.
Freelance marketplaces like Upwork, Freelancer, and Guru allow you to almost instantly hire Android app developers, and you'll be able to care for the hiring details yourself. If you have ample time to devote to screening candidates and are confident in your ability to assess mobile app developers, they are a great choice.
Job boards, marketplaces, and matching services all have their uses. Which site will best serve in hiring thee best Android developers will depend on your specific situation.
Ultimately, which sites you use depends on a multitude of factors, such as:
- How quickly you need to hire an Android developer (i.e., your timeline)
- How much experience you have hiring Android developers and other software developers
- Whether or not you're equipped to coders in relationship to the development process
- How many developers you need for your development team
- The years of experience those Android developers need
- Whether or not you're open to remote mobile app developers
- What your budget constraints are and how much you can pay an app developer
- How important quality is to your project(s)
- What is the difference between Android and iOS apps?
- Android and iOS have different development, design, and maintenance approaches despite similar architectural parameters. The biggest dissimilarity between iOS and Android programming is the use of different technology stacks. iOS relies on the Swift proprietary language, whereas Android on Java or Kotlin. Furthermore, Android app development and iOS development are primarily determined by design guideline operations and systems that impact the look and feel of apps. Developers designing for Android adhere to Material Design, whereas an iOS developer will need to refer to the Human Interface Guidelines.
- Is Android development only used for making apps?
- Android development is primarily used for building apps, but programmers also build wearable, TV, and infotainment software for cars. With Android Studio, Google offers a complete environment for building an Android app where one can add multiple libraries, assets and other elements that one wants in your app. Android Studio enables programmers to build apps for: - Android Mobile App - Android Tablet Application - Android Wear Application - Android TV Application
- Can an Android developer build iOS apps?
- It’s perfectly possible for a programmer or developer to be able to build apps on both iOS and Android. The demand for cross-platform developers is increasing through-out the world, so it makes perfect sense to learn app development on Android and iOS. Whether you’re an Android or an iOS app developer, learning how to build and develop apps on the other big platform is important. This will significantly improve your market value since not every app developer can ace both platforms.
- Where can I find freelance Android app developers?
- Authentic Jobs
- GitHub Jobs
- Stack Overflow
See the complete list of sites to hire Android developers.
- How much does it cost to hire someone to make an app?
Based on our research, it takes $24,000 to $48,000 to build a simple app, $60,000 to $96,000 for a moderately complex app, and more than $100,000 at least to build a complex app. These costs do not include ongoing maintenance and updates. Use these recommended sites to hire someone to build an Android app.