Best Websites For Freelance Developers
Toptal is a curated online freelance platform that matches professional developers with businesses for their mission-critical projects. Founded in 2010, Toptal boasts of an exclusive global network of highly talented freelance developers. Toptal’s stringent hiring techniques and high-level of scrutiny ensure that only the best make the cut.
From fortune 500 businesses to cutting-edge startups, Toptal’s developers are trusted by them all.
- Screening process for the top 3 percent of developers
- No-risk trial, pay only when satisfied
- Top site for remote software engineers, web developers, web designers, and product managers
- Trusted by leading brands
Founded in 2011, Gun.io is on a mission to connect leading brands and businesses with amazing app developers. Gun.io is a leading technical hiring platform that boasts of some of the most talented and sought-after web developers. Numerous engineers and tech teams have relied on Gun.io’s developers to build ambitious projects on time and with the highest quality standards.
Gun.io offers a range of hiring options to match the unique needs for a business’s project requirements.
- Flexible hiring options
- High-quality companies and developers
- Screening process for developer talent
- Pay after satisfaction
Lauded for being built by engineers from tech giants in the likes of Facebook, Google, and Stanford, Turing brings talented web developers, engineers, and ambitious companies together on a single platform. Turing uses AI and a rigorous hiring technique that spans over 8 hours to onboard only 1 percent of the best developer talent.
Turing matches a company’s custom needs to their developer talent, thus making it a perfect match for both parties.
- Risk-free trial
- Vetting for experienced coders
- Personalized services
With a presence across 14 global cities, Hired supports over 50 tech roles and offers some of the best web developer freelancers to businesses. Headquartered in San Francisco and founded in 2012, Hired offers top tech talent to companies that are pre-vetted thereby saving them over 45 hours of sourcing.
Hired’s AI matching platform and expert curation ensure that over 70,000 highly-qualified applicants are vetted on a monthly basis. Businesses rely on Hired since it provides high-quality talent and significantly eases the recruitment process.
- High-quality workers for software development
- Vetting process for only the most experienced coders
- Global presence
- Flexible and personalized hiring options
Founded in 2015, Upwork helps businesses find professional software developers for their long-term or short-term projects. Trusted by over 5 million businesses in the likes of Microsoft, GoDaddy, and Airbnb, to name a few, Upwork offers a range of flexible recruitment options depending on the requirements of the project.
Upwork’s mission to connect businesses with great talent to work without limits is seconded by their advanced matching tech which ensures top-notch web developers are easily matched with relevant businesses.
It is also easy to use Upwork to fill in other business needs with freelancers--such as for graphic design, SEO, logo design, and more.
- Easy to find quality matches
- Flexible payment options
- Unmatched quality of developers
- Wide range of developer skills
6. Epic Jobs
Epic Jobs is an online platform that helps job seekers find meaningful projects and employment opportunities whilst also learning about the people behind them via curated tweets, video introductions, interviews, and office tours.
This is slightly different than other freelancing websites. Hiring managers looking to find talented web developers can directly reach the right set of job seekers by sharing 90-140 second video clips called “Intros”.
Epic Jobs curates job listings being tweeted or posted online to enable job seekers and freelancers to find the right project or company to work with.
- Intuitive platform
- Proven track record
- Basic twitter packages are free of cost
Australian freelance marketplace Freelancer.com boasts of one of the world’s largest freelance talents in the likes of web developers, designers, and more. Relied upon by Microsoft, PWC, Boeing, and numerous other stalwart brands and small businesses, Freelancer.com is a great freelance website to hire web developers.
On Freelancer.com, businesses can hire expert web developers inexpensively to build websites, web apps, custom software, maintain existing code, migrate to new platforms, and much more.
- Trusted by leading brands
- Broad range of industries, including graphic design, software development, ecommerce, SEO, freelance writers, and more
- Quality developer talent
- Employers can keep track of work progress via Freelancer’s Desktop App
Founded in 2007 in Colorado, FlexJobs enables businesses to find the right freelance web developer professionals. All freelancers are screened closely for legitimacy, professionalism, and work flexibility thereby reducing the hiring effort for companies that wish to employ professionals.
FlexJobs offers a 30-days satisfaction guarantee that enables businesses to get a full refund if they are not happy with the services being offered.
- Specializes in remote work
- Spam-free tool
- 30-day satisfaction guarantee
- A vast pool of developer talent
- Global presence
Trusted by leading brands such as Google, Amazon, Basecamp, and more, WeWorkRemotely is regarded as one of the largest remote working communities around the world. Launched in 2011, WeWorkRemotely has witnessed companies post over 10,500 from across most of the countries. Web development is one of WeWorkRemotely’s most popular job categories.
The platform enables businesses to find remote web developers with in-demand skills to meet project requirements with great ease.
- Popular job board for job seekers and freelance jobs
- Trusted by industry pioneers
- Leading remote work platform
- Highly skilled developers
10. Working Nomads
Working Nomads connects skilled professionals who want to work remotely with ambitious companies and projects. Working Nomads curates lists of some of the most interesting and reliable remote job positions across careers and skillsets. Working Nomads gives businesses access to hiring expert developers from across the world.
With over 120,000 visits per month, Working Nomads helps businesses of all sizes find the right talent for their projects.
- Proven record of hiring among top job boards
- A global pool of expert developers and product managers
Founded in 2010 and headquartered in Tel Aviv, Fiverr is a freelancer marketplace that allows freelancers to offer their expertise and services to companies and employers across the world. With a satisfaction guarantee and a 24/7 support on offer, Fiverr is trusted by businesses of all shapes and sizes across the globe.
Companies or small business can list a job posting and then receive bids back from interested developers. The screening process and vetting will be left up to you.
Fiverr’s shared dashboard enables employers to track their freelancer’s work activity and progress to ensure that everyone is in sync and all work is on track.
- Popular freelancer marketplace
- Trusted by leading businesses
- One of the world’s largest freelancer platforms
- Satisfaction guarantee
- 24/7 support
With a 99 percent satisfaction rate, Guru offers some of the best freelancer talent from around the world on a single, secure online platform to businesses and employers. Along with 24/7 support, Guru provides a host of payment options and flexible agreements that meet the unique requirements of every individual business.
Guru has over 460,000 expert freelance web developers from across the globe to choose from. Interested companies can simply browse the freelancers’ Portfolios, make comparisons, and read reviews of the various web developers and make an informed decision.
- Multiple payment options
- 24/7 support
- A huge talent pool of web developers and software developers
PeoplePerHour is a UK-based company that offers an online talent matchmaking freelancer platform that helps businesses connect with an international community of freelancers. PeoplePerHour offers fixed-price offers that enable businesses to test ideas for a relatively low cost.
PeoplePerHour vets every freelancer to ensure that every business works with an expert and is capable of delivering as per the needs of the project at hand.
- Fixed-price offers quick turnaround times
- Expert developers
- Affordable platform
Founded in 2014 and headquartered in San Fransisco, Gigster is a website that enables businesses and users to build a website on demand. Gigster provides access to an elite team of project managers, developers, and designers to help businesses move forward.
Gigster helps businesses create innovative, industry-changing software by building a dynamic team of top talent from across the globe. With Gigster, businesses are able to build and manage high-performing teams that will help to build custom pathbreaking software.
- Talented teams
- Data-driven processes
X-Team offers businesses with a talented and motivated team of developers from across the world. Since 2006, leading brands and businesses have relied on X-Team to develop and scale their projects. Trusted by brands like Fox Broadcasting, Twitter, Dell, Discovery, and more, X-Team helps companies grow in the digital age by helping them find the right talent.
With a global presence across three continents, X-Team hires and sponsors expert developers from across the globe.
- Offers a dedicated team of trusted developers
- Offers a dedicated account manager
- Offer flexible contracts with convenient billing options
Conclusion: Which Freelance Website For Developers Should You Choose?
If you are new to the world of hiring freelancers or outsourcing your web development needs and software project requirements, there’s a high chance that you won’t know your way about negotiating and getting the best deal.
While platforms like Toptal are supremely reliable at hiring top-class talent and undertaking all the heavy-weight recruitment tasks, it’s imperative to understand what parameters to consider before picking the right freelance website.
Here are some common questions to answer before choosing a freelance website for developers:
2. How is the quality of work? Check if the website or its developers have won any industry-relevant awards or accolades. thoroughly study the platform and the capabilities of the website’s developers along with their past projects.
3. How experienced is the team of developers? Check when the website or company was founded and how many years of experience its developers have.
4. What do the reviews say? Read reviews to check if any previous customer had anything negative to point out.
5. Do the costs and projected timelines fit your budget and schedule? Check if the cost of the platform and its developers are in sync with your development budgets. Also, study the estimated timeline as compared to your schedule to ensure everything is in sync.
With these freelance websites and tips on choosing the right one, you will most certainly find the right website and right set of developers to build your project.